Sunday, September 6, 2015

Weekly Writing Challenges

Once again, I find myself out of the habit of writing daily. I recently discovered that Joseph Gordon-Levitt has this thing, HitRecord. It's a pretty awesome thing. One of the awesome things they do is host a weekly writing challenge. I always want to do it, but never manage to write anything. The deadline for this week is tomorrow, so I forced myself to just sit down and write something tonight. The challenge is to write a letter to the love of your life, who just happens to be marrying your best friend in 48 hours. I chose to write the story directly on the website, so it hasn't been edited, and it was written very quickly. I'm going to take this approach more often because it forces me to submit something without over-thinking. When it comes to my writing, I need to think less.


The challenge, and contributions to it, can be found here:


http://www.hitrecord.org/collaborations/9571?page=1


And here's my contribution:


Dear John

So, it's almost the big day. The first day of the rest of your lives together and blah, blah, blah.
I'm not very good at the romantic crap. But you know that already.

I know you and Steph really want me to come to the wedding, but I can't. I'm a terrible friend and a coward, and I don't trust myself. I'm fairly certain I would get extremely drunk and say inappropriate things at a socially unacceptable volume. You know I have no filter once I get a few beers in me.

Steph is a lovely girl, and I can't do that to her. She deserves her fairy tale, not some goblin clumsily knocking shit over or throwing up in the bushes near the cake.

Do you remember the night you met her? She was my lab partner in Chemistry sophomore year, and I brought her back to the room so we could finish writing up our notes. I knew you were lost from the time you saw her face. Your eyes nearly glassed over. I probably could have seen your imagined future play over your irises if I had stared closely enough. Instantly smitten, man.

I never stood a chance.

Even without Steph, I never would have had a chance with you. And that's ok. I've accepted it. There's nothing that I value more than our friendship.

So, that's why I can't come. I love Steph. She's probably the only reason I passed Chem that year. You couldn't have fallen in love with anyone more perfect. I know you'll have a beautiful life together. Save me a piece of cake, will ya?

Seriously, I hope you can forgive me for sitting this one out.

All my love,

Chet

2 comments: