Thursday, October 22, 2015

Flash Fiction Contest Results

Once upon a time, a girl entered a flash fiction contest to challenge herself. She did really well in the first round, but drew a genre outside of her comfort zone for round two. She tackled the dreaded flash mystery as best she could. But, alas! The girl's best efforts were not good enough. She failed to advance to the third round.

Honestly? I'm relieved. I've got too much on my plate right now to focus on a writing competition.

I'm in the midst of organizing a silent art auction for a friend of mine who was recently diagnosed with cancer. My living room is filling up with assorted artwork, which is pretty awesome. I'll be sad to part with some of the pieces. I've also been painting to add some of my own work to the donation pile.

On top of that, my little one had an allergic reaction to the flu shot this week. His arm is about three times its normal size. We've pumped him full of meds, but his body is recovering slowly. We have an appointment with an allergist to determine whether he has an egg allergy, or if he reacted to a different component of the vaccine. Fun times.

On the writing front, NanoWriMo starts in less than two weeks. I have a general idea of what I want my novel to be about. I know the characters. I expected to be a bit more prepared, but I'll go with what I've got. Sadly, it's still more prepared than I've ever been at the start of November. With the art auction in the middle of the month, as well as Thanksgiving, meeting that 50k word count goal is going to be especially tough this year.

So, did I really need to be in a writing competition with all of this going on? No, it's probably best that I didn't advance. Am I still disappointed that I didn't make it to round three? Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment