Thursday, September 18, 2014

The New Schedule Still Needs Work

So, I have to say that I have been increasingly more productive since the little one began preschool. I did have to quit writing earlier than usual today to observe his first field trip--a walk through town to the Farmer's Market. Cutest field trip ever. Totally worth the sacrifice of precious writing time.  I'm thinking about making up for it during my mandatory staff day tomorrow.  Maybe if they see me typing furiously they'll think I'm just taking meticulous notes. It's a pretty good plan.

I've had more ideas for stories in the past two weeks than I've had in years. I credit it to some wild dreams I've been having, but also to being more observant. I have time to sit and watch people now. I see a woman with a scar on her ankle, and I create a backstory for the scar, and it evolves into a possible story idea centered around this random passerby. It's invigorating. Now, if only I could keep up with all of the ideas.

I started a google doc, and I've been dumping my random observations into it.  I'm trying to guarantee that I won't forget these snippets of story as I attempt to finish my two works in progress.

My crit partners have been amazing, by the way.  I now have two sets of fresh eyes on the MS and it has been immensely helpful.  My first two chapters have been shredded and revised, and I'm blown away by how much stronger they are. I didn't think having a crit partner was that big of a deal before, but it really can make a difference. Family doesn't count, folks. Find another writer and exchange work. Editing someone else's stuff also makes it easier to spot the mistakes in your own. Things jump out at me now that I never would have noticed before.

I've sent queries and pages to two new agents. I've decided that they will be the last I send for a while. The CP thing is going so well, that I won't send anything else out until they've read the entire MS. We're through chapter 2 at the moment. It will be a long wait, but I'll be more agent-ready. It's crazy. I wrote the first draft of this novel in 30 days. That was four years ago. I've been revising it ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment