Friday, January 8, 2016

Book Review: Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate



I absolutely loved The One and Only Ivan, so I was stoked when I saw that Katherine Applegate had another book out. I didn't even read the blurb regarding what is was about. I just grabbed it from the library and carried it home, and then I read it in an hour...You read that right. I just sat down and devoured it.

Jackson's family is struggling to even make it from paycheck to paycheck. Most of the time, they don't.  His dad is sick, but still works as much as he is able.  His mom has three part time jobs and is always looking for more work. Jackson and his sister Robin are hungry, and they've had to sell most of their things, even their bed frames. Jackson is old enough to know things are bad, but his parents try to hide their financial problems from him.

Jackson meets Crenshaw for the first time on the first night his family has to spend in their minivan. Crenshaw is a giant black and white cat that loves to stand on his head. He gives Jackson someone to talk to and company when he's feeling more lonely than he ever has before.  After fourteen long weeks of living in the van, Jackson's family gets an apartment and Crenshaw disappears.

Things go great for about four years, and then cupboards run empty and the power gets shut off. Jackson thinks he's too old for an imaginary friend, but Crenshaw reappears just as things get really tough for Jackson's family.

This story is about friendship, ann hardship, and telling the truth, but most of all about love. It was unbelievably touching, and I can't wait until my son is old enough to share this book with him. Pick this book up and give it a read. You'll love it, and that's a fact.

Five out of five stars

No comments:

Post a Comment