Monday, January 23, 2017

Dusting off the old novel

I sat down yesterday and created a schedule for the week. It has all of my household chores on it. Thursdays and weekends have time to devote to writing. Thursday is reserved for edits. This book has been laying about since 2015. It's time I did something about it.

I went down to my local UPS store this morning and printed out a hard copy. I've tried editing digitally, but it just isn't as fulfilling. I need those red pen marks to give me tangible evidence that I'm doing something. The rough draft is over 300 pages. I wasn't expecting that. In Scrivener, it seems so much shorter than that. Looking at all of these pages (sorry, trees!), it really feels like a book. Now, it's time to kill all those darlings and make it better.

My books always stagnate once they reach revision. I love writing. I love getting the story down. I'm not fond of making it presentable for eyes other than my own. I acknowledge it's a vital part of the writing process, I'm just an expert at procrastinating.

But I love this book. I believe other readers will love this book. I got great feedback from my beta readers. That means, this book is worth the effort. It's time to dig out my red pen and get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment