Saturday, November 22, 2014

A Legacy of Friendship

There's something about the combination of good food and friends that makes life seem full. Even after spending five hours cooking today, I feel content. My feet are sore, and I'm exhausted, but it's so worth it to invite friends into your home and spend an evening watching your children play together.

My oldest, best friend and I have been through so many things: first days of school, slumber parties, losses of virginity, graduations, and now motherhood. It's truly been a blessing to share so many wonderful moments of my life with her. Even simple things, like a dinner at home, can be so rich. I'm so thankful that I have friends that, even after all these years, can make me laugh so hard my cheeks hurt.

Watching our children play on my living room floor, I couldn't help but wonder if our children will cherish these early days of play together as they nurture a life-long friendship of their own. It may not happen, but I truly hope it does. I feel like the only thing that could make my friendship more whole would be to see that camaraderie passed down to my child. An inheritance of friendship would be a lovely legacy. It might not be able to buy him his dinner, but I guarantee it will leave him feeling more full.

No comments:

Post a Comment