Sunday, August 5, 2012

Unexpected Surprise

I finally began work on the edits for chapter two.  Hooray! However, I didn't realize that there was a giant break in continuity at the very beginning of the chapter.  The main character goes from sipping coffee in her kitchen to cresting a hill in her Civic.  Unless she has magical powers of teleportation (and, alas, she does not) then this sequence of events is absolutely unacceptable.  I wasn't expecting to have to write such a large chunk of new text this early on in the game, but it had to be done.  I'm happy to say that there is a much smoother transition between the two scenes now.  I've made far less editing progress on the chapter than I had planned though.

I've only managed to take baby steps in the research of my publishing options.  I checked out the 2011 Writer's Market from my local library (shout out for free resource materials!).  It's rather thick, and a bit intimidating, but I hope to get some useful information from it.  It lists publishers, literary agents, magazines, and writing contests.  I like that it also gives you the best way to contact each listing and, in some cases, lets you k now if they are currently accepting unsolicited manuscripts.  I wish they had the 2012 copy, but since I'm getting the information for free, I'm not going to complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment